sarah vs the world

Not a video game, not a comic, not a band, but an amazing adventure continues...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Back in Oz...Tassie Style!

Just a little bit of news from the Land Down Under....
After working on St Kilda Festival with Dave Wilkinson, I had a bit of time in Melbourne to catch up with people then it was off across the Bass Straight to Tassie.
Sophie Berry (who I travelled with throughout Tassie) came down to Melbourne on the weekend before we left. We managed to fit in a bit of Spiegeltent time, catching up with Melanie East and I even saw Mary Poppins. At 9pm on Monday the 21st, we set sale for Devonport on the Spirit of Tasmania
We had quite a bit of warning from our Tassie friends about the Spirit of Tasmania. And to be honest, my little brother and I took it once before and I swore on my life I would never do it again, but with a room to ourselves on the overnight trip, we figured it couldn't be that bad. We boarded a bit late and had to follow the oldies on (who boarded Pacemakers first!). After helping them sort out how to use their electronic room keys, we made a quick b-line to the 'fine dining' onboard. It was actually a lovely 3 course meal. But Soph and I nearly fell asleep in our desserts. After popping some motion sickness tablets, it was straight back to our little cabin without a porthole for bed. Lucky for us the staff at dinner said that staying without a porthole is better as you are in a more central part of the ship. Around 1130pm, we both woke up as we obviously had passed through the heads of Melbourne bay. It was totally manageable and not long after we were sleeping again. 6am wake up call, off to our hire car and onto the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm for Breakfast. We should have bought more of the chocolate covered raspberries there in hindsight. Oh well.
The Boat Ride Begins....

Pano of boarding the Spirit

Me in our little cabin just before bed
On the deck in the morning coming into Devonport
Sunrise over Devonport

We came into Launceston on Tuesday morning to stay with Sophie's family friends the Finches for 2 nights. Kerry Finch and his lovely wife Carol have known Soph her entire life. It was the best makeshift B&B I have ever stayed in. Fresh eggs from the chickens in the backyard, champagne and cheese in the afternoon and lovely company. Kerry is a state member of parliament in Tasmania and basically knew everyone in town. We did a huge drive all over Launceston on Tuesday and concluded our mammoth day with a lovely Italian meal in town with 2 of the Finch sons.
Soph and Kerry on the Tamar River
Tamar River Pano

We had to get up the next day and get ready for the Launceston Cup! How lucky we were to be in town for it. Kerry organised us some wristbands for a corporate hospitality tent so we had a fantastic day. I won a bit of money, we drank a bit of champagne, ate several lovely chicken wraps, scoped out the Fashions on the Field and people watched all day. We returned home at the end of the day to find that Carol had cooked us a lovely meal! Launceston was a fantastic time and our hosts were amazing.
The Launceston Track Grandstand
On the Lawns

First thing Thursday morning we headed to Hobart. We drove straight down the centre to save time, stopping in Ross (the town with the bridge) to have some lunch.
The Famous Ross Bridge
Ross Bridge Pano Style

We arrived in Hobart and checked into our lovely apartment. I highly recommend it if you are heading there anytime soon. We met up with Eric, Alycia and their families for lovely fish dinner at Mures downstairs that night. Friday we spent most of the afternoon shopping and helped Eric and Alycia set up the venue that night.
Soph loves a bit of street art (in Hobart Mall)

Saturday, Team Logistics (consisting of myself, Soph and Malcolm) had several tasks including transporting the cake to the venue, finalising the place-settings, and just double checking everything in the venue for the reception. Unfortunately it rained a bit in the morning which worried us all (but not Alycia). The wedding itself was outside in a park and all had blown over by the time we needed to be there. It was an absolute lovely time and I am sure the photos will speak for themselves. It was an amazing day. Super Congrats Eric and Alycia!
The Cake arrives at the venue safely (Nan was glad!)
Soph and I at the Ceremony (obviously purple is a popular colour)
The Mackoni and Malcolm at the Ceremony

Alycia and her Dad
The Bridesmaids -- Bess, Lydia and Kelly

Eric and the Groomsmen -- Jamie, Ron and Steven
Mr and Mrs Eric and Alycia Bangma!
Our table at the reception, but the pano is a bit funky

Sunday we headed out to MONA -- The Museum of Old and New Art with the Mackonis Duo. It was absolutely fantastic. It is basically a purpose built gallery for the private collection of a professional gambler. He has even had some things commissioned and will have a touring exhibition hall soon as well. It was spectacular. We did not get to spend enough time there, but I am really glad I got to see some of it at least. And the info on the wall about any of the works. Everything is through your GPS guided ipod and it can even email you detailed description of your tour based on what you clicked on (although I haven't received mine yet...hmmmm).
The Ipod
Martin Place Film Installation Pano
Crazy Plant Art
An Amazing Water Drop Fountain Installation that spells stuff

After the museum we headed to Alycia's parents' place for a BBQ. Soph discovered what Eton Mess is, Andrew Mackonis got into the Sausage Rolls and suddenly it was time for our plane back to Sydney.
Am in Sydney housesitting the Bangmas while they are away in Thailand on their honeymoon. Just finished a bit of work on the Audi Sydney Harbour Regatta. Looking forward to a few sleep ins and just catching up with everyone in Sydney over the next couple of weeks.
Hope everyone is well.
More to come I am sure.


Post a comment

<< Home